(for 2005 photos, please click here....) - Jan 1st 2005 was far from the warmest New Year’s Day Castlecomer had ever experienced but with festive mood still in ample supply after Castlecomer’s first white Christmas in decades thousands still took to the streets to celebrate the Twenty fifth Castlecomer Wellington Race.
Fresh from her success in this years Rose of Tralee Orla O Shea presided over the event that her late mother participated with such great success being the first woman to win the event on three occasions. Many celebrities joined unofficially with Orla to celebrate the day. A very young looking George Foreman and his grilling machine (the one that is so good he put his name to it) stood side by side with Olympic doubtful Cian O Connor, while the entire cast of Killinascully also made an appearance. We had Laurel and Hardy, Spiderman, Miss Wellie 2005 (trying to outshine the Rose) and the reality T.V. show I’m a celebrity with real celebrities like our own D.J. Carey becoming a reality float.
We had camel racing on the square courtesy of our Culchie friends, there was the Phantom of the Wellie not to mention a Black and Tan assault on a homestead, there were tinkers tailors and candle stick makers of all sorts.
All of this and much much more contributed to our most successful event ever and when the final figures were tallied we had raised a staggering €34000. As always we view each participant as a winner, without the volume of people who take part there would be no Wellie Race and to all who did not receive a trophy we still salute you and hope the specially commissioned 25th Race Medallion goes some way to acknowledging our appreciation of your participation.
However for the record the winners of the 2005 Wellington Race were:
1. Sean Dowling
2. Marty Kelly
3. James Doran
4. Joe Delaney
5. Michael Keily
6. Donal Dunne
7. Patrick Brennan
8. Declan Dowling
9. Kevin Healy
10. Clarence Lacey
1. Billy O Neill
2. Martin Boran
3. Brian O Neill
1. Laura Brennan
2. Elaine O Reilly
3. Breda Roche
4. Mary Burke
5. June O Neill
6. Sile Carroll
7. April Purcell
8. Catherine Ring
9. Siobhan Murphy
10. Ruth Leeper
1. Margaret Dillon
2. Bernie Fitzpatrick
3. Ann Walsh
Float Parade Results
Children Individual –
1. George Foreman (Kieran “I liked this product so much I even put my name on it” O’Carroll).
2. Spiderman (Sarah Brannigan, Lowhill).
1. The Waiting Game. (Laura Brannigan & friends from Lowhill.).
2. Cian O’Connor & Waterford Crystal. (Jim Doyle, Uskerty)
1. Castlecomer Camogie Group.
2. Red Cross.
Adult Individual –
1. Last of the Small Farmers. (Eoin Fleming, The Swan).
2. Cian O’Connor Snr. (Mal Tynan Jnr. Skehana).
3. Miss/Mrs. Wellie Race (Margaret Bergin).
Adult 2- 5 –
1. The Beverly Hillbillies (Brian Stone & Co.).
2. Laurel & Hardy (Tom & Christy Cody, Skehana).
3. Back to Basics (Paddy Rock & Culchies International.)
Adult Float –
1. The Boys from the Lotts (Michael Somers & Coon Contingent).
2. Firoda Creamery Co-Operative Ltd.
3. Killinaskully on Tour.
4. Powley Crafts from the Past.
5. I’m a Celebrity, Get me out of Here. (Shortall’s Pub.)